This week, we're thinking about using crystals while meditating ✨
For thousands of years, crystals have been harvested (not like The Matrix) around the world - they've been studied, turned into beautiful works of art, and even used as tools for mental and emotional healing.
Now, more than ever, more and more people are using them in their meditation practice, way beyond that one "woo-woo" friend of yours from college. Why? Well, If you're ready to branch out and use your sparkling stones for something other than witchy (it IS October) apartment decor, read on!
Why even meditate with crystals?
When we meditate, we're often trying to jump in and go inward, quieting our mental chatter so we can hear the voice of our highest selves. Many folks believe that crystals are tools to help us clear that space and amplify our truthful inner voice, making meditation even more effective.
If you remember your high school chemistry class at all, you might remember that everything in the world is composed of atoms and molecules. These compounds have a certain energy and tension between them to make them they materials that they are. Now these crystals all have their own frequencies — of which you use to invite a certain energy into your meditation practice.
We so often think that it is the crystals themselves that are imparting a type of wisdom, insight or answer through these "frequencies", but really it's much more practical and simple than that. The crystal is just a tool to open your mind, heart, and spirit to yourself so that your innate wisdom within you, which is generally shrouded by the day-day-day internal chatter.
How to choose a crystal?
It's believed that crystals may allow you to channel certain "energies". Each type of crystal has a certain "frequency" associated with it. Choosing crystals by color can be helpful, as different colors often associate with different chakras, giving you as easy map to find stones that can help support your meditation goals.
Begin by thinking about what you're looking to get out of your practice. Perhaps you're aiming to channel a certain energy, change the way you show up in certain situations, or manifest something in particular for your future. Your practice could center on a wide variety of topics - anything from relieving anxiety to the pursuit of self-love or empowerment to personal grounding.
Side note: You can either do a whole bunch of research or go for a crystal that just feels right. The more you use your intuition and pay attention to your physical or emotional state changes in response to a crystal's energy, the better you'll get at intuitively choosing crystals that are right for you.
Once you've decided on the focus of your crystal healing meditation session, it's time to find the right stones! Here are some common healing crystals and their meanings:
- Clear Quartz
- Found In: United States, Brazil, Russia, Madagascar
- Known For: Being a master healer, providing overall balance
- Found In: Egypt, United States, China, Chile, Iran, and Mexico.
- Known For: Grounding and peacemaking
- Rose Quartz
- Found In: India, United States, Brazil, Madagascar
- Known For: Restoring love, trust, and passion with another person, or within yourself
- Found In: Argentina, Canada, Chile, Ecuador, Greece, Guatemala, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Russia, United States
- Known For: Protecting against all internal or external negativity. It may also help with emotional blockages and even physical pain such as cramps, headaches, and more.
- Found In: Brazil and Uruguay
- Known For: Bringing forth humility, sincerity, and purity of the mind.
- Found In: Myanmar, Thailand, India, Afghanistan, Brazil, Colombia, Tanzania, Vietnam, Namibia, Scotland, and Japan.
- Known For: Restoring sensuality and passion in your life that might have grown dull over time.
- Found In: Brazil and Uruguay
- Known For: Providing joy, wonder, and enthusiasm to every aspect of your life.
- Found In: India, Russia, Kazakhstan, Indonesia, Egypt, Madagascar, Australia, Brazil, Venezuela, Uruguay and the United States
- Known For: Delivering a deep sense of courage and empowerment
Select your crystal and it's time to meditate!
Find a quiet, comfortable seat and decide where you want to place your crystals. You might decide to hold one in your palms, place one in front of you, or keep several all around you.
For those advanced in their crystal journey, you may also want to include the use of a crystal grid in your practice. A crystal grid is a tool used to arrange your stones in a way that can maximize their energies for a specific purpose. This isn't totally not necessary, but can be something fun to play with (and helps keeps things organized!)!
Once you've set up your space, begin your meditation by focusing on centering your breath and energy on the stone. You can treat the stone as a physical representation of your practice. Aim for clarity of intention, and as always, be patient with yourself.
Approach with an open mind, invite allowance and acceptance for receiving the crystal's energy and reap the benefits.